MOVIN' PITCHERS

DIM WITTED REVIEWS FOR LIKE-MINDED MOVIE PATRONS

Thursday, December 14, 2006


MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944)

DIRECTED BY : VINCENTE MINELLI

STARRING: JUDY GARLAND (and a long red wig)
It had been a few years since I'd seen this movie so, courtesy my dvr, I caught it again. Everyone knows me as an avid fan of musicals and this one meets most of my requirements. It's got songs, gorgeous costumes, and vivid technicolor that is hard to beat. It also has a credible lead in Judy Garland and her outrageous pipes. But it has its weakneses too.
The 'story' is really more of a 'tableau', if you will. A random segmentation of pretty family moments and mishaps. The Smith family is an All-American family with a strong attachment to each other and their city, Saint Louis. Leon Ames and Mary Astor play the Patriarch and Matriarch of this modern family and they do it well. The father is stereotypically gruff and the mother, quite predictably, dotes upon him. There is also a wise old grandfather, a snippety maid, and some youngsters of various heights. Tootie is the youngest. Agnes is her slight elder. Alonzo Jr is a grown son mooching off the folks (well, he IS) and the two oldest daughters, Rose and Esther, seem to be the veritable 'glue' of the clan. Rose is pining for a distant love and Ester for the boy next door. That's about it. Nothing really happens to this family and that's okay. We don't really want anything to marr the Norman Rockwell world they live in. But neither does it make for the most exhiliarating of films.
Judy Garland was considered a tour de force of American entertainment and I guess she was. I'm personally not that big a fan. Her skinny ankles get on my nerves (probably because they remind me of my own) and I find her pretty unattractive. Also, her voice-while undeniably powerful-doesnt strike me as particularly pretty. That said, the long wig and pretty clothes definitely show her off her to her best advantage and 'The Trolley Song' is one of the great musical moments of film-one song that truly works w/ her type of vocal. However, I believe that Margaret O'Brien was one of the best child actors and its her performance as michievous and death-obsessed Tootie that stands out in this movie. She actually outshines all of her adult co-stars, hamming it up while at the same time not visibly attempting to do so. There's a darling little number where she and Garland sing together that is especially memorable , if for no other reason than that voluminous nightgown that O'Brien gives an entity of its own. The performance is so charming that one almost forgets how deserving the kid is of a good spanking most of the time. I mean come ON. What parents are going to fawn like that over a child that has just caused a major trolly accident by playing a prank? .
The rest of the cast just kind of lays there. Tom Drake as the elusive John Truett-boy next door extroardinaire- is hardly the intellectual match for our heroine. Esther's infatuation with him is purely physical, if you ask me. But that's her business. Harry Davenport and Marjorie Main are always a joy but little is done w/ their characters to elaborate on this point. They're just kind of there to add some spunk and sass to this bluntly traditional family.
Minelli did a lovely job w/ the direction. It has the look of the era while remaining 'modern' somehow and the colors, as I said before, are fantastic. It makes the movie fun to watch even thru the insipid songs and bland performances. Actually, though I saw the movie yesterday, the only song I still find hummable is 'The Trolley Song' so that says alot, I think.
I gathered this viewing that there is a reason it is billed as a heartwarming Christmas Movie. Judy Garland singing 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' is very pretty and of course the resolution of family difficulties in the midst of this 'most holy' of holidays is going to make a bold impact on the celebrating public. For me, it just came off as a bit forced and schmaltzy. But happy endings don't always have to be perfect to be satisfying. And it was still that.
My rating: 7/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home